Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lingua Franca

The concept of Lingua Franca is complex because it takes into consideration many dichotomies in language acquisition such as grammar vs. pragmatics, individual vs. community, cognition vs. context, and monolingual vs multilingual (just to name a few).  Speakers of LFE inhabit and practice other languages and cultures in their own locations yet they mutually recognize a set of attitudes, forms, and conventions that ensure successful communication (925).  This is so complex to me and show that the speakers have a double conscious mind because they are able to learn another language without assimilating into the mainstream culture.  It is also surprising that the pragmatic strategies of the language are not the same!  Another thought I liked from the article was "such individuals and communities are so radically multilingual that it is difficult to identify one's mother tongue or native language" (930).  This shows that the communities are multilingual and multicultural. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up in Swedish with a Chinese parents from Malaysia is a puzzle. I was lucky, and able to pick what I liked the best from those three cultures, learn their traditions and languages. I wasn't forced to be in a certain way by my parents though they did remind me that I had to work harder because we're not natives of Sweden, and I was not forced to become Swedish either at school or by my friends. Though it is difficult sometimes when people ask me where I come from, if I'm adopted (because people assume that if you don't look white, you're not a native. This has happened here and in Sweden), I'm still happy that I know a lot about different cultures and that makes it easier to meet new people and understand others. It is a lot to learn, but it's very valuable knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of this multicultural communities that use Lingua Franca English as a form of communication. It gives me the impression that these communities are open to many different people, languages and cultures. On the other hand, I feel that the United States sees English as the dominant language and also views non-native speakers as problematic. I think American culture and many others could learn a lot about acceptance and tolerance from LFE communities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this article because it talked about multilingual communites. As a future Spanish teacher I plan to advocate for multilingualism and get rid of monolingualism that is growing in America. I also found this article interesting because of some of the dichotomies that you listed.

    ReplyDelete